Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Dictionary Word Challenge


I previously said that I would provide more information about the Dictionary Word Challenge, so here it is!

What is it? 

This challenge involves me picking 10 words at random from a dictionary that will then have to be used in a story. I've posted the words below, and what you will do is take them and write them into a story. It can be about anything as long as you incorporate the words in it somehow.

You can come up with a completely fresh story for this challenge, or you can do this with characters already established. I find these are easier to do if you already have a theme. There's no wrong way to do it. Feel free to use your own already established characters, or even write a fan fiction with the words, whatever you want to.



Rules (or whatever you want to call them):

-These are meant to be short fun writes that aren't meant to be too stressful. If one you're working on doesn't work out, try again! Let's keep the stories under 5,000 words this time.

-Yes, you can use variations of the word (tense and such) but it has to psychically appear in the story. Like you can't just use the idea of the word. And if the word has more than one meaning you are allowed to use any meaning.

-This challenge is open for anyone who wants to enter. I'm aiming to post the stories of all the participants here on Modern Bard, but since this isn't an official challenge, if you have your own blog or a site where you post stories, feel free to post them there instead. If you do, send me the link and I will link it to the post with the finished challenges.

When:

Since this is a short challenge it's only running through September. I'm going to post the stories from the 28th to the 30th.

If you are going to send me the story itself, I'll need it by the 27th at the latest.


The Words

Here are the official words of the challenge:

1. Carpenter
2. Ginger
3. Natural
4. Aloft
5. Stretcher
6. Mire
7. Justice
8. Feat
9. Nomad
10. Throb


Comment below if you want to join in the challenge. Please also note if you are planning on sending me the story or if you are going to just send me a link. If you are sending me a story, please email me at sirwilliamssquire@gmail.com so that I can get your email and you can send me the story when you're finished.

And a note for the people who will be giving me links: You can either email me or just post them in the comments here. Also feel free to post your stories wherever you are going to at any time. I will just add the links to the challenge post when I get the others up =)

If you have any other questions, please let me know, and I really hope to see what you come up with for the challenge!

Slainte, Hazel


No comments:

Post a Comment

We always appreciate getting comments and constructive criticism, but please keep it civil.