Saturday, May 24, 2014

Modern's Bard First Challenge / A Call for Writers

Greetings Readers!

I am very excited to announce Modern Bard's first official Writing Challenge; the produce of which you will be able to enjoy through next week. One of the things I wanted to do when I first started Modern Bard was to be able to invite guest writers to write for it, because, while writing is good by itself, if you never share it, you never get any better at it. So I had an idea to make Modern Bard partly a critique group, and how I wanted to do that was to create writing challenges that other writers could participate in to try out some different things that maybe they wouldn't normally think of writing. It's a great way to exercise your writing abilities and fun to share them with others to get constructive criticism.

My first challenge I did kind of as a test run, so it was by "invite only". (I tested it on a couple of my writing friends, thanks ladies ;-)  but since it seemed to go off well, I'm opening my next challenge to any interested writers. Which comes to the other part of this post:


If you are interested in becoming a writer for Modern Bard and want to participate in our challenges, I'd love to hear from you! Here's why you might want to do this:

~It's a way to get your writing out and seen by people who might not normally see it.
~I encourage all my writers to read and comment on every challenge story so you'll always receive feedback.
~You get a reason to write something for a reason ;-)
~Everyone gets a chance to choose a challenge topic.
~It's a good way to meet and support other writers which is always fun since we tend to stick to ourselves a lot of times.


I'm going to be sending out info on the next challenge in June, so if you want to get in on it, email me at sirwilliamssquire@gmail.com so I can put you on the list. Summer is a great time to write, especially if you're still in school, so I'd really like to get as many people as I can to participate in the next challenge!

But back to May's Challenge!

I challenged my fellow writers to write me a retelling of either a fairy tale, a ballad, or something from mythology and I am really excited to share the results with you. Here's a short schedule for when each story will appear:

The Red Violin: Mara A.--May 27th
Death and Honor are in League: Abigail Leskey--May 29th
Ronan of the Noble Heart: Hazel West--May 31st

You can find more information about the stories and writers up on the tabs under "Stories" and "Writers" where the links to the stories will be posted when they come up. 

I really hope to see you all at Modern Bard next week. We would all love to hear what you think of our first challenge!

Until then,
Slainte, Hazel 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We always appreciate getting comments and constructive criticism, but please keep it civil.